Galería fotográfica del proyecto
This program sought to identify people with low economic resources, with eye diseases and whose quality of life could be improved through ophthalmologic surgeries. They treated people suffering from cataract, pterygium grade IV, glaucoma, strabismus and dermoliponas; who were offered comprehensive care before and after undergoing the surgery. The program was implemented in the region of Cusco in strategic alliance with "Optiláser Eye Clinic" by Doctor Clodomiro Caparo Jara and with funding from the Archdiocese of Cusco.
• Decrease the incidence of visual impairment caused by cataracts in people with low economic resources in order to improve their quality of life.
• To carry out ophthalmologic campaigns in communities for the detection of people with eye diseases that require eye surgery in rural areas of the region.
• To care by surgeries in detected cases.
• Informing and sensitizing the population on the detrimental consequences of vision loss.
• To perform post-operative follow-ups to all participants.
AREA OF INTERVENTION:
Jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Cusco
ASSISTED POPULATION: The people who participated in this program consisted of 240 low-income persons with visual disabilities.
PROJECT DURATION: 2008-2009 (24 months)